Monday, June 28, 2010

Owon Oscilloscope Battery

I wanted a battery pack for an Owon PDS5022S oscilloscope, but didn't want to pay the $70~80 (yikes!) for the one that Owon sells.

Some poking around shows that the scope consumes around 1Ah, charges at around 8.5v 300mA when on AC power and turned on. The original batteries are rated 7.4v 8Ah. It looks like an ordinary 2S lipo can be used, so I gave it a try...






Yes, it works... :)

The battery I used for testing is just a small 7.4v 850mAh lipo that I have been using in R/C. It has a 2-pin JST discharge plug and a JST-XH charge plug. Since I already had a few JST-XH sockets, I used that (minus the middle pin).

I also didn't want to open up the scope for this, so I just made use of the battery tabs. Basically, some fasteners with wires soldered, and wedged it in.



The run time is going to be shorter compared to the original battery of course, but still, the little battery was able to power the scope for around 30mins. I'm thinking of building a pack out of some "3000mAh" protected 18650s later.

Edit: I just tried the UltraFire protected 18650 and it looks like you'll need to remove the battery's circuit or it will shut itself down.



Looks like a giant AA battery...

2 comments:

  1. thank you - exactly the information i was looking for
    the original battery pack is ridiculously expensive :(
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The original battery pack is a 7,4V 8000 mAh LiPo battery, sold at 60-80 euros. If you buy a similar battery pack from anyone else, the price isn't that different...

    ReplyDelete