Saturday, June 5, 2010

DSO Nano Surgery

My DSO Nano came with a crooked 3.5mm socket. It worked, but there was quite a bit of friction from the plug rubbing on the case.



I wasn't too sure about opening up a new Nano, but the problem was annoying enough, and in the long run, it probably wasn't good for the socket or the PCB, so I disassembled and attempted to fix it...





Disassembling...


* The faceplate is just taped/glued with some weak adhesive and I was able to lift it easily enough with my fingernails.




* Removed the screws on the top frame, and separated the top from the middle and bottom frame using fingernails.




* Removed the screws holding the upper and lower boards together.

* With fingernails again, separated the middle and bottom frames. There's a red wire (signal generator) attached to the middle frame and the board. I just left it attached.



* Pulled the upper and lower boards apart. The upper board contains only the buttons and the USB and 3.5mm socket, while the rest is on the lower board.




Here are all the separated layers of the frame.


That's about it with disassembly.



Now on to fixing...




I didn't have a fancy desoldering equipment, so removing the socket was just a matter of heating and gently lifting each leg one by one. Lined it up straight this time, then resoldered.




Removed another problem that I had with mine, a stray plastic wrapper on the LCD.




And finally, back in one piece... \^o^/

2 comments:

  1. Good job, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, I have another plug (i don't know codenafe is similar to GSM antenna conector) and i looking another for make a new 10x probe

    ReplyDelete