Saturday, May 15, 2010

AVRISP mkII / AVR Studio in Windows 7

Trying to learn a bit more about AVRs, so I got an Atmel AVRISP mkII programmer.



Unfortunately I ran into some problems with the software in Windows 7 x64...

AVR Studio 2.18 installer hangs just right before it starts copying the files. No hints, just an empty screen with the installer icon on the taskbar. Tried it a few times without much luck.

It turns out I needed to "login as the administrator (username)," and not just "have administrator privilages" and/or have it "run as administrator" or be a standard user. Beats me what's the difference between the administrator securities, but it worked, and I can run it normally under my usual username afterwards.

Second issue I had is with the driver not being installed. This was just a simple matter of going to the Device Manager, clicking on the (!) device and letting it update the driver. If it doesn't pick up the driver automatically, point it towards the AVR Studio installation directory as it does contain the signed x64 drivers for Windows 7.

Tried it with an ATtiny13, and it works - woohoo!


4 comments:

  1. nice post....thank for your information

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have some troble when i run it in windows 7. my PC cant Detect this device.. please help me

    ReplyDelete
  3. what is you change ??? i dont understand with "tried it with ATtiny13"

    ReplyDelete
  4. sir you are a gentlemen and a scholar.
    i was about to smash this thing into little blue bits...

    idk how you ever narrowed down that administrator privileges != administrator account.. but that did the trick for me. thanks!

    ReplyDelete